- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound of large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 lb of spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for the pasta water
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (about l large lemon)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice about two large lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers fried (optional)
- Make the shrimp in a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper then add to the preheated pan in a single layer. Cook for two minutes per side or until pink and cooked through. Set aside.
- Make the pasta. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking about 8 minutes. Drain reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. Meanwhile whisk the olive oil, parmesan and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl to blend.
- Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce shrimp and reserved cooking liquid adding 1/4 cup as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the basil. Garnish with more parmesan and fried capers if desired.
How to Fry Capers
- Drain and rinse then dry the capers very well. Heat 1/4 inch vegetable oil in a small straight sided skillet over medium high heat until simmering add the capers and fry for about 2 minutes or until they have popped open and are golden brown and crispy. Using a slotted spoon remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.